Friday, May 7, 2010
As the weather gets warmer and friends and family gather for picnics and reunions you do not really think about food safety... Follow these precautions:
1) When packing a cooler or picnic basket, wrap raw meat and fish separately from cooked foods in airtight containers or resealable plastic bags!
2) It is a good idea to have 2 sets of cutting boards, grilling utensils and platters, one for cooked food and one for uncooked foods.
3) Wash your fruit or veggies before you transport them.
4) Pack extra saran wrap or foil and baggies and containers for leftovers.
5) If you do not have access to soap and water bring moist towelettes and antibacterial soap that does not require water to wash dishes or work areas.
6) HOT FOODS should be eaten in 2 hours of being made!
7) Remove cold foods from the cooler right before serving.
8) Foods should not stay out longer than an hour...1 hour on days that are 85* or higher
9) Promptly store hot and cold left-overs in an iced filled cooler. If no ice remains in the cooler when you get home, play it safe and discard the food!